Shared -Studios Portal
The Shared_Studios concept is a multidisciplinary art, design and technology collective founded in 2014.
With Portals, iEARN-Kenya and Shared_Studios have created an Internet you can walk through. With key innovations in hardware, software, and design, our vision is to build a global community to investigate how creative space is shared around the world.
We envision a world where we all talk, work, collaborate, debate on innovations, skills, academic and career topics, and play across all forms of distance.
Objectives of the Portal Rooms project
- To provide access to global network of over twenty different sites.
- Connect young people to special events that occur at conferences such as SXSW, Skoll World Forum and the main Ted conference etc.
- Promote Project Based Learning-PBL and service learning programs
- Provide and promote dialogues and events among scholars and researchers.
- Coordinate and schedule special events, artist collaborations, classroom visits, and performances
- Promote community of practice: a place for educators and learners making a difference.
- Enhance outreach of Partner institutions like CUEA in the Community and globally
- Students and youth in or out of learning institutions
- Local organizations
- Online global project work
- Educational talks
- Ted talks and global forums
We have provided a curator to staff the Portal when it's open and help do outreach on site.
Portal Curators are the glue that hold our global network together. They staff each Portal, engage local communities, program special events, and occasionally provide language interpretation too.
He or she operates the Portal: including opening and closing the Portal, mastering technology and troubleshooting, ushering individuals into and out of the Portal every 20 or 30-minutes, talking to passersby, and explaining the Portals initiative.